- How does an IP address get included in the MMS?
An IP address is entered into the MMS by the e-mail provider, who is a
member of the MMS project. An IP address can only be entered into the
MMS if the following criteria apply:
- the sent e-mail is a spam letter;
e-mail provider has verified that the e-mail sender has not complied
with the criteria listed by the Information Society service law that
allow for the distribution of commercial offers;
- the spammer’s IP address has been automatically filtered out by the e-mail provider’s spam filter.
- How can I know if my IP address has been included in the MMS?
Information regarding the inclusion of your e-mail address in the MMS
will be sent to you by e-mail, if the letter you’ve sent has been
blocked by the MMS project’s member server.
- What should I do in order to have my IP address deleted from the MMS?
An IP address can be deleted from the MMs by using the unblocking form.
Please take into account that an IP address does not get blocked
without good reason. That’s why we recommend for you to ascertain the
reason for being blocked before being unblocked. It’s possible that
your computer has been hacked and used to send spam without your
knowledge. In this case, we recommend that you turn to your IT
specialist or service provider. An IP address can be unblocked 5 times
by filling out the on-line form on the homepage of the project. If your
IP address continues to show up in the MMS, you can request to be
unblocked by your e-mail provider or by sending an e-mail to
- What can I do to avoid having my IP address included in the MMS?
The first rule is: don’t send spam! Remember that commercial offers can
be sent only in accordance with the requirements of the Information
Society service law. Secondly, it is highly recommended that you use an
anti-virus software, regularly update your operating system, and
protect your computer behind a firewall.
- How long will an IP address be included in the MMS?
IP addresses are saved in the MMS for 3 months
- What can I do to avoid receiving spam?
There is no universal method to help you avoid spam forever. Still,
there are a few safety measures you can take in order to reduce the
number of spam letters in your mailbox:
- don’t publish your e-mail address on public Internet sites;
giving your e-mail address in the registration form of an Internet
site, familiarise yourself with the site’s guidelines and Privacy
- if you’re unsure, give an e-mail address
that has been specially created for this purpose, for example, one that
has been created on a free e-mail service website;
- use anti-virus software, regularly update your operating system, and protect your computer behind a firewall.
- What’s the harm of a Latvian IP address being listed in a foreign MMS?
There is a world-wide battle being waged with spammers. One method is
to create a so-called “blacklist”. If an IP address is blocked by
foreign servers because of Latvian spammers, the blocking service is
usually provided by an e-mail server. Consequently, foreign email
servers that utilise the blacklist do not accept e-mails from any user
that utilises the blacklisted e-mail provider. Thusly, because of a few
spammers, it’s possible that your friends, relatives, or business
partners outside of Latvia will not receive the letters you send.
- The larger percentage of spam comes from foreign countries. Why is a Latvian MMS necessary?
The goals of the Latvian MMS are the following:
- reduce the number of spam letters sent and received in Latvia;
- lessen the risk that Latvian IP addresses will be included in foreign blacklists;
- strategically respond to local botnet flare-ups;
- assist users in recognizing hacking or viruses;
- relieve communications channels between Latvia and the rest of the world.
- What should I do if I want to receive all letters addressed to my e-mail address, including spam letters?
Turn to your e-mail service provider in order to find out more about
its spam filtering policies, as well as the possibility to receive
unfiltered e-mails. Take into account that not all e-mail service
providers are able to provide such opportunities.
- How can I influence the operation of the Latvian MMS?
We’re looking forward to your suggestions. Send them to: email@example.com.